Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lessons Learned

I promised to share my sucessful walks down the aisle of design or my stumbles. Well, as could be expected, there has been a bit of both. I've shared the successes with you: I have wedding veils hanging in TWO bridal shops, am working with 5 brides, and have sold 1 veil through the Tallahassee bridal shop.

What I have not shared with you are the stumbles. That changes tonight. No one likes to share the stumbles (as they feel like failures at times), but luckily mine have been bearable, though terribly frustrating.

Let's see, there was the wedding veil that was ruined after it was finished. Lesson learned: beware the HOT iron and ALWAYS test a scrap piece of tulle! Then there was the veil that was started 3 times because I just didn't like the look I was getting. Lesson learned: begin well in advance of the due date! Oh, and the veil where the lace edging was abandoned (after it was sewn around the entire veil!). Lesson learned: one must consider the shape of the veil, the length of the veil, the extremeness of the curves, and the shape of the lace. Side note: since this veil, I have found a lace edging that is simply GORGEOUS!

For those of you who know me, you know that I love "silver linings" or more appropriately: lessons learned. If you have to go through an unpleasant experience, you might as well learn from it so you never go through it again. And now you know my wedding veil lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment